dealing with grub2?

Dear all
Could you help to either completely get rid of grub2 or properly
configuring it (to recognise the other two OSs, Windows and Ubuntu)?

For the first part, I've uninstalled grub-pc and reinstalled
grub-legacy, I've run update grub and checked /boo/grub/menu.lst (and
it contains Windows and Ubuntu entries). However, on reboot I only see
the Debian entries. I also installed os-prober, but it doesn't seem to
affect behaviour of update grub.

Before uninstalling grub-pc, I updated menu.lst and ran update grub,
to no avail.

What else should I try? Thank you
Liviu

--