Re: dealing with grub2?

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Dear all
> Could you help to either completely get rid of grub2 or properly
> configuring it (to recognise the other two OSs, Windows and Ubuntu)?
>
> For the first part, I've uninstalled grub-pc and reinstalled
> grub-legacy, I've run update grub and checked /boo/grub/menu.lst (and
> it contains Windows and Ubuntu entries). However, on reboot I only see
> the Debian entries. I also installed os-prober, but it doesn't seem to
> affect behaviour of update grub.
>
> Before uninstalling grub-pc, I updated menu.lst and ran update grub,
> to no avail.
>
> What else should I try? Thank you
> Liviu

Hi,

if you want to get rid of grub-pc (aka "grub2") you have to reinstall
grub-"legacy" in the mbr (or elsewhere, depends on your setup) with
"grub-install".

If you want to give grub2 a chance, and you should, you can install the
package "os-prober", which only helps with grub2 and does nothing with
grub-legacy.
Also with grub2 you have to look for /boot/grub/grub.cfg and not
"menu.lst". If os-prober fails to find the other OS, you can add an
entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then run "update-grub". Don't edit
grub.cfg because it's overwritten every time grub is updated or a kernel
is installed/updated.

Hope it helps.