Re: Synchronize two computers

Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> Set up a small network. It might be an option to buy a router with a dhcp
> server (should be possible for a few 10$'s). That saves some configuration
> hassle. Else just buy a crosslink cable and set the networks on both computers
> appropriately.
>> I'd keep it simple : ssh + rsync.
> Run:
> rsync -auvz --delete ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc /dir/on/this/pc
> to get the new stuff from the other pc to the one you're currently working
> on. To update, just reverse:
> rsync -auvz --delete /dir/on/this/pc ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc
>
> -auvz does:
>  -a => archive: saves permissions, users etc,
>  -u => update: only newer files are transmitted. without this option older
> changes will be transmitted too, which might result in a loss of current
> changes
>  -v => verbose: can also use -P, giving a progress indicator
>  -z => compress: faster over (slow) networks

Thanks for your explanation.

Do I have to install ssh?

I'm immediately searching shops for a crosslink cable, but then how do I "set
the networks on both computers appropriately"?

Sorry for my ignorance, but as I said, though I've been using Debian for some
years now, I've never managed two computers together before.

Rodolfo