Re: Synchronize two computers

Aioanei Rares schreef:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Hi to all Debian users.
>>
>> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine. What I
>> need now is:
>>
>> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>>
>> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
>> directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that really
>>    changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>>
>> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected two
>> machines together.

Set up a small network. It might be an option to buy a router with a dhcp server (should be possible for a few 10$'s). That saves some configuration hassle. Else just buy a crosslink cable and set the networks on both computers appropriately.
> I'd keep it simple : ssh + rsync.
Run:
rsync -auvz --delete ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc /dir/on/this/pc
to get the new stuff from the other pc to the one you're currently working on. To update, just reverse:
rsync -auvz --delete /dir/on/this/pc ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc

-auvz does:
 -a => archive: saves permissions, users etc,
-u => update: only newer files are transmitted. without this option older changes will be transmitted too, which might result in a loss of current changes
 -v => verbose: can also use -P, giving a progress indicator
 -z => compress: faster over (slow) networks

Sjoerd
PS. Aioanei: sorry for the double mail. Forgot to click `reply-to-list'