Re: How to grab music from remote cdrom?

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:22:45 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>>Export the CD share via samba or nfs and mount it locally into the
>>target machine where you are going to run the ripper. And let the
>>program doing its work.
>
>>Whether it fails, you'll have to search another solution for your
>>problem.
>
> Not sure about cdda2wav will be able to use the share. - As I understand
> it is a FS share? And not a /dev/hdc?

It's a share you can mount wherever you want into the client machine,
i.e., under "/mnt/cdrom" and then point the "cdda2wav" utility to grab
content from that source.

The only trouble you can encounter is the program does not like it, but
that's all. In that event it just will fail with some error.

>>May I ask why can't you run the audio extractor in the host machine
>>where the CD unit is physically attached to? :-?
>
> The machine has no such a device. :)

The host machine (remote CD-R) has to have a CD-ROM reader, at least X-)

So, why not extract the audio in that same computer? Then you can share
the extracted content over the network, as usual...

Or you can buy an external 5¼ enclosure and put there a dvd (both items
are nowadays very cheap) ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón