Re: problems using wicd on WPA2 secured networks

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On 2010-01-19, Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> wrote:
(...)

I'm using backported wicd 1.6.2.2 on lenny.

I believe I have made many attempts with 1.6.2.2 but I will try it again.

I find that the terms "key", "password", and "passphrase" tend to be
used interchangeably in the literature. The important thing to remember
is that the key can be 8-63 printable ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal
characters. Hence the conversion you mention above.

To generate a PSK, you can use an online service like
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.

Ok.  I will try that on my home situation.

OTOH I need to connect at a coffee shop which uses a given "password"

Wicd just tells me that the connection is WPA2. When I set Wicd properties for that connection either to

WPA 1/2 Passphrase
or
WPA 1/2 Preshared Key

I get the same bad password rejection from Wicd.

That was with 1.7.  I'm installing 1.6.2.2 right now.

Thanks,

Paul