Re: problems using wicd on WPA2 secured networks

On 2010-01-19, Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> wrote:
> Liam O'Toole wrote:
>> On 2010-01-19, Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Wicd is mostly not working for me on networks using WPA2 including a
>>> Linksys WRT54G2 router I configured myself for WPA2.  Testing this
>>> connection when encryption is disabled works fine.  When I set the
>>> router to WPA2 Personal I currently get:
>>> Connection failed: bad password
>>>
>> --SNIP--
>>> 2010/01/19 01:45:13 :: wpa_supplicant authentication may have failed.
>>> 2010/01/19 01:45:13 :: connect result is Failed
>>> 2010/01/19 01:45:13 :: exiting connection thread
>>> 2010/01/19 01:45:13 :: Sending connection attempt result bad_pass
>> --SNIP--
>>
>> I'm using backported wicd 1.6.2.2 on lenny. It authenticates
>> successfully using WPA2 with a WRT54G router. For encryption type I use
>> "WPA 1/2 Preshared Key" and enter the key in hexadecimal. No trouble.
>>
>> How does that compare with your settings?
>
> This may lead me to ideas not made clear in docs I have read so far.
>
> I am using WPA2 Personal with a text based password which appears to be
> converted to a key by wicd.
>
> How you create a Preshared Key?
>
> In terms of either wicd or the router what's the difference between a
> key and a password?

I find that the terms "key", "password", and "passphrase" tend to be
used interchangeably in the literature. The important thing to remember
is that the key can be 8-63 printable ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal
characters. Hence the conversion you mention above.

To generate a PSK, you can use an online service like
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom