Re: question about sending mail and postfix

James Wu on 18/01/10 16:24, wrote:
I apologize, I just double checked and I think the "mailutils" package
is the more common one. You shouldn't need a database for it. However,
I'd check to make sure you don't already have it the mail command in
your system.

Check your PATH by typing "env | grep PATH" in the command line and
check that /usr/bin is listed. As well, type "ls /usr/bin | grep mail"
and check if you see a mail command. You don't really need postfix for
this anyways, exim which comes on lenny by default is enough for such a
simple task.

No problem.

I don't have mail, definitely, but I am currently testing with sendmail, although postfix has only given me sendmail in /usr/sbin so I have to sudo to use it.

mailutils looks like the business. And postfix is not happy about me trying to configure it to send emails to alias addresses. I might have to check out exim if you say it can do that too.

Thanks
Adam