Re: Upgrade wants too many packages (X and apache).

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 02:04, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> you should probably be using aptitude, but regardless, you have
> installed, at some point, xserver-xorg-video-all, which depends on all
> the video-* packages. remove that package and directly install the
> drivers you actually need.

I've been meaning to change to aptitude since that's the current
default package manager (and seems to be better), but i'm considering
doing it after a fresh reinstall (i need to repartition and maybe use
lvm and raid). If i start using it now won't there be conflicts with
what apt has done so far, i.e. do aptitude and apt both agree on
dependencies and what not?

For X, because i dislike having all drivers installed, when i setup
Debian i chose no desktop task and installed X manually (having to
re/configure Xorg.conf, as usual), making sure i first installed
xserver-xorg-video-nv (as well as input stuff) before i installed the
core packages. I have no *-all installed. These are the packages i
have:
x11-xserver-utils
xserver-common
xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-evdev
xserver-xorg-input-kbd
xserver-xorg-input-mouse
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
xserver-xorg-video-nv

So, xserver-xorg-core should not need the *-all package. Besides, i've
been dist-upgrading for ages and X never complained, so why start now?

And packages depending directly on apache instead of on an httpd? I've
installed nagios3 and then purged it, that's where apache-utils came
from. But now i've purged them both. These would be the only ones what
would be related to a webserver.

So, if i change now to aptitude will all my problems be solved?

--
()  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail