Re: lenny backups and recovery

Paul E Condon on 15/01/10 22:48, wrote:
On 20100114_133757, Adam Hardy wrote:
Just recovered from a kernel-not-loading situation, without any data
loss and happily wondering what I should do now to make sure I don't
get the same adrenalin shot next time it happens.
[snipped]
I am looking at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO/overview.html
but it was last updated in 2006 so I figure there might be some
useful new stuff too somewhere.

Also wondering what the lenny installation cd 'rescue mode' does -
and whether I need a boot floppy with a copy of my partition info?

Hi, Adam

I took a look at the tldp document and don't like it. I would even
characterize it as somewhat wrong headed. I understand the goal, but...
[snip]

Thanks Paul for the info re rsync. Plus I was unaware that I needed to backup /boot

Is there a new way to create a rescue disk which will allow me to rescue a hard drive if the partitions get trashed? I was wondering if there was a similar sort of menu-based program a bit like the "rescue mode" option on the lenny install cd?