Re: Upgrade wants too many packages (X and apache).

On 2010-01-17 at 17:27:52 -0500, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> My latest apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade wants to install too
> much cruft for me, namely apache2-mpm-prefork and *all* the
> xserver-xorg-video-* packages, along with some others. Usually it just
> wants to install one or two, keep a few and upgrade a bunch.

You haven't said whether you are running Lenny, Squeeze, or Sid,
but I've heard that there has been a change in the package management
system fairly recently that will cause it to treat recommendations
as dependencies.  Try the --no-install-recommends option when you run
apt-get dist-upgrade.  For example,

apt-get --no-install-recommends dist-upgrade

and see if that makes a difference.