Re: lenny boot problem

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, amka wrote:

On boot :

ramdisk: couldn't find valid ram disk image starting at 0
list of all partitions:
...         # I don't remember the line, and the last one is :

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root FS on unknown
block (8,33)

Looks like it can't find the initrd image.

I use lilo, and my config file is :

lba32

boot=/dev/sdc

root=/dev/sdc1

bitmap=/boot/debianlilo.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0;9,,0
bmp-table=106p,144p,2,9,144p
bmp-timer=514p,144p,6,8,0

install=bmp

prompt
timeout=50

large-memory

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64
       label="lenny 2.6.26"
       initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64
       read-only

other=/dev/sdb
  label="etch"

How many HDDs have you in your system?

According to your lilo configuration Lenny is installed on sdc and sdb is Etch. It could be that the HDDs have different device names when you boot Lenny. e.g. Lenny is sdb and etch is sdc.

To rule the above out, you could disconnect all HDDs except the one where you installed Lenny on. Change your lilo config accordingly and see what happens.

The problems are from the beginning ; both lilo and grub couldn't be
installed during the lenny installation.

I installed lilo with the CD rescue mode.

On what HDD/partiton did you install lilo?

Can please someone give me an advice ?

Thanks, regards,

amka

Cya,