Re: lenny boot problem

On 2010-01-16 at 17:44:34 -0500, amka wrote:
> Hi every one,
>
> I have a boot serious problem with lenny. I tried a lot of things, but
> the problem subsists...
>
> On boot :
>
> ramdisk: couldn't find valid ram disk image starting at 0
> list of all partitions:
> ...         # I don't remember the line, and the last one is :
>
> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root FS on unknown
> block (8,33)
>

> I use lilo, and my config file is :

> lba32
>
> boot=/dev/sdc
>
> root=/dev/sdc1
>
> bitmap=/boot/debianlilo.bmp
> bmp-colors=1,,0;9,,0
> bmp-table=106p,144p,2,9,144p
> bmp-timer=514p,144p,6,8,0
>
> install=bmp
>
> prompt
> timeout=50
>
> large-memory
>
> map=/boot/map
>
> vga=normal
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64
>         label="lenny 2.6.26"
>         initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64
>         read-only
>
> other=/dev/sdb
>    label="etch"
>
> The problems are from the beginning ; both lilo and grub couldn't be
> installed during the lenny installation.
>
> I installed lilo with the CD rescue mode.
>

> Can please someone give me an advice ?
>
> Thanks, regards,
>
> amka

I had a similar problem when I tried to install Squeeze using the Lenny
installer.  (The last time I checked, the Squeeze installer was a symbolic
link to the Lenny installer.  So even if you think you're using the
Squeeze installer, you may actually be using the Lenny installer.
In my case, I couldn't install grub successfully during installation,
but I could install lilo successfully.  The first thing I would do
would be to remove the "large-memory" option from /etc/lilo.conf and
re-run lilo.  Not all BIOSes support the large-memory option.  I think
the install script says something about BIOSes dated after 2001 should be
OK.  But it seems to depend on which BIOS manufacturer you're talking
about (AMI, Award, Phoenix, etc.).  I've seen some posts documenting
non-support of the large-memory option on BIOSes newer than 2001.
It works for me, but maybe not for you.  Try removing the large-memory
option, re-running lilo, and re-booting.