Re: desktop mobo in a 19 inch

On 01/15/2010 12:13 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
randall put forth on 1/15/2010 4:18 AM:

i don' t have any pci cards that would have to fit in, so that would
leave the RAM which fits and i have to buy some new CPU coolers since
the boxed ones i have do not fit.
"Expansion slot" - named that because you may need something tomorrow or a year
from now that you don't currently have.  Always plan a little ahead.

these are storage only machines and that is what they will be, at least that is my plan ahead.

actually i was more worried about the power supply that comes included
with several 19" inch cases, but since nobody even mentioned it i guess
that would be OK.
We didn't comment because you gave us zero details on the PSU.  How could we?
If only you knew before _right now_ that there are well over 5,000 different
PSUs manufactured by 100+ companies around the wold, mostly in Taiwan, China,
and S. Korea.  The PSU in your bare bones 2U case could be one of 500+ units
manufactured by 50+ different companies.

i'm not having a particular PSU in mind, just wondered if they said ATX if that applies to the PSU as well

Read the label on the side, read you mobo manual, and the online TDP specs for
your CPUs.  Make sure the PSU has enough amps available on the 3.3, 5, and 12
volt rails to power the mobo+CPUs and all your hard drives and optical drives.

i will check this to be sure, thanks for the tip

If you're wondering about the *quality* of the PSU, we can't answer that.  There
are maybe 5 "reputable" PSU brands in the white box space, and if you bought one
of the "cheap" 2U chassis, chances are you didn't get one of the reputable PSUs.
  That doesn't mean it sucks.  I've got plenty of no-name PSUs in many of my
machines and they work fine.

the quality aspect was not on my mind yet.