Re: No flamewar please!

James Allsopp wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to keep Gnome if possible, but some of the libs it proposes removing sound critical. Here's the output anyway. Thanks.

James

Hawaiian:/home/ja# apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: libpcsclite1 gtk2-engines-smooth planner dnsmasq-base update-notifier-common
  libmtp8 gthumb python-debian libaiksaurus-1.2-data libpolkit-dbus2
  libopenraw1 update-notifier gnome-volume-manager network-manager-gnome
latex-xft-fonts link-grammar-dictionaries-en gdebi libgoffice-0-8 libots0
  gnome-app-install libpolkit-gnome0 libgpod-common policykit-gnome
  gthumb-data gparted cli-common rhythmbox abiword gnome-themes-extras
  evolution-exchange libpcap0.8 abiword-common transmission-gtk
  update-manager-gnome gdebi-core hal-cups-utils libgpod4 libpsiconv6
  transmission-common policykit update-manager-core abiword-plugin-grammar
  liblink-grammar4 arj network-manager epiphany-extensions binfmt-support
libwv-1.2-3 libnm-glib-vpn0 libgdome2-0 python-sexy w3c-dtd-xhtml python-vte
  libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libpolkit-grant2 libgoffice-0-8-common
  libgtkmathview0c2a system-config-printer ppp abiword-plugin-mathview
  wpasupplicant python-gtkhtml2 gedit-plugins gnumeric-common liferea
gnome-themes-more python-cups libopenrawgnome1 media-player-info gnumeric
  libdb4.6 liferea-data libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libabiword-2.8 gnome-office
  python-cupsutils libpolkit2 libgtkhtml2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a
The following packages will be REMOVED
  gnome* libart2.0-cil* libgconf2.0-cil* libglade2.0-cil* libglib2.0-cil*
  libgmime2.4-cil* libgnome-vfs2.0-cil* libgnome2.24-cil*
  libgnomepanel2.24-cil* libgtk2.0-cil* libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil*
  libmono-addins0.2-cil* libmono-cairo2.0-cil* libmono-corlib2.0-cil*
  libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil* libmono-posix2.0-cil* libmono-security2.0-cil*
libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil* libmono-system2.0-cil* libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil*
  libndesk-dbus1.0-cil* mono-2.0-gac* mono-gac* mono-runtime* tomboy*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 25 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 31.6MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

2010/1/12 Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com <mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com>>

    On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 02:35:47PM +0000, James Allsopp wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm using gnome but want to remove all traces of mono from my
    system, I've a
    > clean install of Squeeze.
    >
    > Can I,
    >  apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy
    >
    > No offence, if you want to use it fine, but I'd like rid of it.
    Tried
    > running with simulate and it seems to want to get rid of gnome too.

    when you say "get rid of gnome too", do you mean the meta-package,
    gnome, that is used to pull in all the dependencies required to make
    gnome work, or do you mean *all* of gnome?

    If it's just the meta-package, then let it go, its purpose has already
    been served.

    If you want more help, you should post up the output of the above
    command.

I'd say it's ok to press 'y' and go ahead, and then you can use the autoremove feature if you so wish. But if you do not, you will have a functional gnome desktop as you have before.