Re: How to temporary set dvorak keymap in terminal

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 09:16AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:32:52PM +0000, Sebastian wrote:
> > Hello everybody
> >
> > I'm just getting started learning the dvorak layout using the package
> > dvorak7min. So far I have only been able to practice under X using
> > 'setxkbdmap dvorak' which works great.
> > What I'm interested in if there's an easy way to (temporarily as I'm
> > nowhere near fluent yet) load another keymap as an ordinary user in a
> > regular terminal session. I have tried the loadkeys command but that
> > doesn't work for a ordinary user here.
> > I'm running a mixed-release debian with apt-pinning (mainly
> > testing). Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> There are some window managers (e.g. the one of KDE) that support
> per-window keyboard mapping. Or rather: with XKB, you have up to 4
> groups, and switching between them is relatively cheap. Thus this
> supports switching groups between windows.
>
> I suppose you can map querty for one groups and dvorak for another. Not
> exactly sure how.

Thanks for all your time and help, greatly appreciated. I think I have
been a bit unclear in my wording: I'm looking for something to
temporarily set a different keymap in a /console/-session, as in
'text-only'! I have no problems doing this within X - although I only
used the 'setxkbmap'-approach.

So thanks again for all your suggestions, but I'm looking for a way to
switch to the dvorak-layout for the /console/, not for X. And of
course - sorry for all the confusion (although some say it's the first
step on the long path to enlightenment).

Thanks again

Cheerio

Sebastian