Re: what happened to my desktop?

--- On Sun, 1/10/10, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:

> From: Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net>
> Subject: what happened to my desktop?
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 3:57 PM
> I update to testing daily. Recently
> my desktop icons changed images
> (they're all clipboards(?) now) but more importantly *none*
> of them work
> anymore. I now get a requester with several options and
> when I select
> 'Run' it simply open gedit on the program's .desktop file.
>
> What's going on?

When the file opens in gedit, check that they are correct.
Check stuff like the path to the executable file for the program in question, etc.
Those files should look something like:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Gedit
GenericName=
Comment=Light-weight GNOME text editor
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/gedit-icon.xpm
Exec=/usr/bin/gedit
Terminal=false
Categories=X-Debian-Applications-Editors;

The "Exec=/..." part is the path to the program.
In this case, I would check the path
In terminal do
:~$ which gedit
/usr/bin/gedit

It is correct.
That's all I can think of.
I don't use any desktop with icons or anything, though, and haven't
for some time. (I use ion3)

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com