Re: How to install Eclipse 3.5 on Debian 5 (lenny) stable release ?

On 2010-01-10, Tsang Kim Wai <tkwinfo@gmail.com> wrote:
> --001636e0b6ed2ae890047cc97805
>
> Hi Mat,
>
>      Thanks for your suggestion.
>
>      I have downloaded the "eclipse_3.4.1-1_i386.deb" file from the link you
> provided. I am now finding information on installing this eclipse 3.4 using
> "dpkg".
>
>      However, one point I want to be clear in advance is that would the
> eclipse 3.4 installation using "dpkg" replaces / corrupts my old eclipse 3.2
> installation. Moreover, the eclipse 3.4 ".deb" file has just 120KB size. Is
> that reasonable with such a big application ?

Installing the downloaded .deb file would upgrade your existing installation.
The file is small because its dependencies (eclipse-jdt, etc.) contain most of
the binaries. You would have to download and install those as well.

I think it would be easier to unpack the .tar.gz file. as others have suggested.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom