Re: Two computers in one: two users each with their own accounts, monitor, and keyboard?

In <[🔎] f5d9e7eab901df344ed85d706d47c4d6@localhost>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:15:28 -0600, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
><bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> In <[🔎] 4B44B28B.10409@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>> To make OpenGL
>>> really scream on single user 3D chips, they had to eliminate over the
>>> network OpenGL completely, as keeping that capability would have totally
>>> hosed the rendering pipeline performance for 3D chips.
>>
>> That makes no sense.  OpenGL is an abstration, like the X protocol
>>itself.
>
>It makes sense when one takes into account that over 99% of the GL
>extensions developed over the past decade target a local GPU optimized
>OpenGL server.

Yet again, you make no points about OpenGL that have not been make about X in
the past.  Yet, X (and I'm pretty sure OpenGL) still *work* over the network.
They aren't as fast, but the network increases latency in all things.  NFS
isn't as fast as a local filesystem, either.

Also the X client/server model is different than the open OpenGL remote
rendering model.  In the OpenGL remote rendering model a program running on a
local CPU would send commands to a remote GPU and the results would be viewed
on a local display.  In the X client/server model a program running on a
remote CPU would send commands to a local GPU and the results would be view on
a local display.