Re: Problems with the install kernel on serverworks chipset.

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:24:52 +0100 (CET), Mathias <m9236@abc.se> wrote:

What SCSI RAID card is in the machine, if any?

It's equpiped with 2-chan LSI SYM53C896 U160 and an Adaptec 1200A
ATA-100/ATA-133 controller to replace the crappy Broadcom IDE controller
this board has.

Anyway, I managed to install a basic configuration of Etch, late last
night,
booting in with LILO (Wanted Grub 2, but my XFS disks wont work with it).
So I'm going to try and upgrade it further from there.

If your skills are up to it, I'd recommend building a custom non-initrd
kernel with your storage controller and network drivers (and all needed
drivers for that matter) built in.  That would eliminate this boot problem.

Yeah, that's no problem, just have to figure out all the hardware, so I wont miss to include any modules. Been compiling loads of kernels over the years, but it's been a while now, hope it hasn't changed that much. :)

Mat