Re: Two computers in one: two users each with their own accounts, monitor, and keyboard?

In <[🔎] 4B44B28B.10409@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> To make OpenGL
> really scream on single user 3D chips, they had to eliminate over the
> network OpenGL completely, as keeping that capability would have totally
> hosed the rendering pipeline performance for 3D chips.

That makes no sense.  OpenGL is an abstration, like the X protocol itself.  We
don't have to throw away network-transparent X to get high performance local
X.  We also don't have to throw away network-transparent OpenGL to get high
performance local OpenGL.  I've fairly certain the GLX extension is still
available over the network, although certain features may be missing (and
advertised as such).

That said, even if OpenGL is accelerated on the X server side, it won't feel
accelerated over the network because of the additional delay introduced by the
network.  Geometric drawing commands will have a delay equal to at least half
your ping time.  Textures or very complex objects will have additional delay
based on the size of the data and your available bandwidth.  Multi-stage
rendering will have much greater delays, and no-so-modern games use multi-
stage rendering for shadowing, among other things.

TLDR: GL should work over the network, it will just not feel accelerated.