Re: slow workspace switching ATI Radeon 3850 fglrx/non-free RandR

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 12:24 +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:41:38AM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>
> >> I'm encountering the same issue on a single head setup (never used
> >> Xinerama). What window manager are you using (ion3 for me)?
> > I am using gdm, in an as-is
> > apt-get-install-debian-testing-with-Gnome-installation.
> gdm is a display manager (I'm using xdm, BTW). The default gnome window
> manager should be metacity (you can check that with "ps uxww |grep
> metacity").
Ah, of course, sorry about the confusion: yes, Metacity.

> Anyway we are obviously using totally different window managers, but the
> problem is the same. Sounds like either an X server or driver issue
> then...
> As you are running testing (lenny here), can you try wether the delay
> occurs with the open source drivers (radeon and radeonhd IIRC) as well,
> please?
I can try that but not before early next week: I need a working machine
because of some deadlines and I am not prepared to experiment more that
just running Debian testing, especially as my chipset is not mentioned
explicitly in the Debian package
(http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd)

My configuration btw:

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV670 AGP [Radeon HD 3850]

Packages:
fglrx*: 1:9-12-1
xorg: 1:17.4+4

--