Re: [debian-users] Integration of development tools

Osamu Aoki wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 10:38:23PM -0700, Ted Hilts wrote:
I am looking for some advice regarding integration of tools for development purposes. I have obtained the following over the internet.:

1. All debian binary and source DVD ISOs (for the present stable version) as the basis of a repository for binary and source code. I blasted the binary ISOs onto DVDs in readiness to install a Debian system (actually a dual boot system with Debian the primary system and MS XP Pro the secondary system). My difficulty here is regarding the source code which I need for a SVN local system starting base as well as a SVN update system geared to Debian releases. I am not sure if this is the best way (I've been looking a tutorials) and if it is the best way how to set up, access, and manage this whole subversion and websvn thing.

The latest Debian is not distributed in subversion.

Debian is binary based distribution and its source are not in a
single uniform VCS.  (We use VCS but distribution of source is basically
through tar.gz like format only as the SATNDARD method on our archive.
See http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth for our VCS usage.)

Each source package comes with debian/control file and it contains VCS
infprmation if available.  Some are git, svn, cvs, bzr, hg ....
(I see more Debian packages using git these days.)

If you have such good internat connection to download so much, why
bother? Just use first netinst CD to install system.  You can have
access to required source package and copy by using "apt-get source ..." after setting deb-src line.

If you just need readonly VCS access, it may be listed on PTS:
 http://packages.qa.debian.org/common/index.html

Upstream VCS info maybe in debian/copyright file etc.

I think it is time for you to read few basic documents on Debian.

As first time Debian user:
Installing Debian GNU/Linux via the Internet:
  http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
Debian GNU/Linux FAQ
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/
Debian Reference (Especially package related section)
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/index.en.html

If you want to "Develop", you also need to read Developer info listed:
  http://www.debian.org/doc/

2.  Closer to the software development issue  I installed Anjuta ...

There is no single method.  Some use emacs, some use vim, and some use
IDE such as Anjuta.  This is not Debian issue.  You need to read manual
of each system.

As a novice learning program on Debian or Linix in general, just use
default gcc on your system.  Using other compilers are advanced topic.

Osamu

PS: I am no good programmer but almost all good programers seem to use
emacs or vim as main tool while using IDE for some GUI program
generation.

Osamu:

First, thank you for taking the time to respond.

You seem to agree that the "package" approach to development is almost universally utilized by every distribution including Debian. Most distributions including Debian have a GUI for the purpose of installing some application and that GUI resolves the application and all associated dependencies. Also, every distribution has some kind of "package" that responds to various installation commands such as the Debian apt-get command. The Debian apt-get program uses a database to find out how to install packages requested by the user. To update the database list, you would use the command apt-get update. And so on. Ubuntu for example has a GUI called Synaptic which is an interface that interacts with the user to install and update packages in a transparent manner. Point to be made here is that package manipulation is the way of developing and not some other way. So if you or I were to modify or create a new application within the Linux community the most common Linux approach of packaging would be utilized whether it be Red Hat, SuSE, Ubuntu, etc., where each distribution has it's own package format and package commands and package content and cross dependencies. It was not always that way but good ideas often get snatched up by others. So in this context I can see some people not wanting to encumber themselves with an IDE. You mentioned EMACS which in it's own right is an IDE. I am not very proficient in EMACS but hope to become more knowledgeable as time goes on. EMACS is first an EDITOR. Without an editor it is hard to have an IDE. IDE stands for integrated Development Environment. Thus the provision for numbered lines and a great variety of features can come into play if one knows how. Most IDEs allow for the integration of one or more EDITORS. Most IDEs utilize a CONSOLE which is like a shell in that it understands certain commands and allows for the interaction with the editor in which the source code is layed out and also allows for commands for compilation and debugging, etc. Apparently a lot of the GNU developers utilize a IDE and yes they do favor EMACS because of it's powerful features.
Down the road I might want to modify a established Linux application but have no intention of doing such at the present time.  But I do have the need to (develop) original code to facilitate personal applications which currently rely on  proprietary software applications. So one of my questions was integrating Anjuta (apparently used by many of the GNU developers) with Eclipse and Python. I got this information from SourceForge but I don't know how current it is or why  others are talking about using Eclipse in conjunction with  Anjuta.  If you know the answer to this question then I would appreciate your input and then maybe we could move on to my other concerns.  It has been helpful corresponding with you and I will look into all the URLs you mentioned  but I don't think they cover this particular issue. Also, I am guessing that Eclipse probably provides additional features -- but that is kind of obvious and the integration of those features is still a question mark for me.

Have a nice day, sorry for any typos, thanks -- Ted