Re: Removing the indent-string quote marker '>' in emails.

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 03:18:27PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 06:55:59AM EST, Camaleón wrote:

> > > Of course not, first we use the techical to determine who's who and
> > > who's doing what and then we shoot them, at dawn, preferably...
> > >
> > > More to the point, couldn't the list managing program identify those
> > > messages and email back the perps that it is very very naughty and they
> > > need to stop doing it immediately, or else be spanked or even forcibly
> > > unsubscribed from the list?
> >
> > I agree with Andrei.
> >
> > The best approach for such situation is just getting the user to be aware
> > of what is he/she doing. They usually do know nothing about e-mail
> > threads and mailing list format so telling them about the benefits of
> > having their MUA configured in the right way is usually just enough.
> >
> > In a corporate environment, "threading" is not much used with normal
> > correspondece and e-mail clients are configured to use html format, no
> > quoting in replies and to posting, just opposite the way it should be
> > done for mailing lists.
> >
> > Educating them it always better than "shooting" them ;-)
>
> What I had in mind was more along the lines of a short description of
> the problem in 'neutral but no uncertain terms' and why it causes grief
> in a threaded context such as mailing lists, something fairly 'official'
> posted somewhere online that we could refer them to.
>
> For all I know, such resource already exists, and if not I'm surprised
> it doesn't.
>
> And though it's probably not feasible, having the list's managing
> software inform posters automatically might even be more productive.
>
> Since I was not too optimistic as to that all that happening any time
> soon, I recommended spanking, banning.. did I actually say shooting..
>
> Oh, well..
>
> HNY, anyways..

It would seem simple if the priority were high enough.

The welcome message for new subscribers could say something. There must be a
crunch for space on that but, priorities. There could be an orientation
section with a provocative title.

My smartlist had that and a monthly FAQ. I believe it was a feature of the
program.  But a simple cron job could post a FAQ.

If there is no monthly FAQ, maybe there should be a thread about what to put
in one.  :)

My smartlist was also able to strip html without to much problem. That could
have likely been modified to be a trigger for return notices to turn such
features off.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman