Re: Removing the indent-string quote marker '>' in emails.

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 02:33:32PM EST, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,01.Jan.10, 13:26:59, Chris Jones wrote:
> > I noticed that some e-mails come back to this (and other) mailing lists
> > with the traditional '>' quote markers removed.
>
> [...]
>
> > Is this caused by 'poster four' in the above example having manually
> > removed the markers, or is an attempt from the mailer he is using at
> > prettifying the message? I have not been able to determine a pattern.
>
> Watch the User-Agent/X-Mailer field in the header of those mails. Most
> of the times it's the mailer...

I more or less did that.. visual-informal, that is.. but I was unable to
detect a pattern.

> > Messages are content 'text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii' more often than not,
> > so it doesn't look like a misuse of format=flowed either.
>
> ...but on some rare occasions it could also be the user changing
> configs.
>
> > Has anyone noticed this and possibly found a workaround?
>
> Finding technical solutions to a social problems? Good luck!

Of course not, first we use the techical to determine who's who and
who's doing what and then we shoot them, at dawn, preferably...

More to the point, couldn't the list managing program identify those
messages and email back the perps that it is very very naughty and they
need to stop doing it immediately, or else be spanked or even forcibly
unsubscribed from the list?

CJ