Re: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen

Merciadri Luca put forth on 1/2/2010 2:39 AM:
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> writes:
>
>> Other than eliminating this annoying problem of yours, it will disable power
>> management, preventing things like sleep and suspend, so your PC might use
>> slightly more electricity (which is pretty low anyway for an average PC, 50-75
>> watts average).
>
>> As long as you can still power down the system via the shutdown menu or the
>> power button on the system chassis, I'd recommend leaving ACPI turned off.  It's
>> obviously causing problems.  Exactly why I can't say.  Could be a BIOS issue
>> with the motherboard, a software bug in the kernel version you're using, or a
>> combination of both.
>
> Okay. Thanks for everything. I am still wondering why the problem
> appears randomly.

You're welcome.  Hope it continues to run ok (no lockouts) with ACPI disabled.

If you _really_ want to know what might be causing the problem, this may be a
good place to start:

http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/acpi/
http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/acpi/acpi_howto.txt
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/8955