Re: How to move an OS install from one primary partition to another?

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> That in itself shouldn't be a problem. You could just copy the files
>> (using ntfs-3g), use dd or some other method. But your problem will be
>> that Windows won't find itself in the expected place anymore. Off the
>> top of my head, I only know of C:\boot.ini which must be adapted, but I
>> don't even know whether Windows 7 still uses this file.
>>

> I wanted to avoid the hands-dirty approach as I am unfamiliar with
> Windows.
>

>> Google shoud help, though:
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=move+windows+7+another+partition
>>
>> Feel free to share the approach that worked for you. :)
>>

> They all recommend some expensive proprietary application or another.
> I thought that maybe there would be a more Debian way :). I have found
> Clonezilla, a Norton Ghost alternative, so I will try it. Thanks!

Just copy over and run the windows installation disk. Choose repair
procedure (autorepair) and it will fix all the stuff. No ghost no
nothing :-). I've done it to a vfat with win2000 and winXP. The Autorepair
process replaces the windows core and sets up the paths.

regards