Re: How to move an OS install from one primary partition to another?

Dotan Cohen schreef:
That in itself shouldn't be a problem. You could just copy the files
(using ntfs-3g), use dd or some other method. But your problem will be
that Windows won't find itself in the expected place anymore. Off the
top of my head, I only know of C:\boot.ini which must be adapted, but I
don't even know whether Windows 7 still uses this file.

I wanted to avoid the hands-dirty approach as I am unfamiliar with Windows.

Google shoud help, though:
http://www.google.com/search?q=move+windows+7+another+partition

Feel free to share the approach that worked for you. :)

They all recommend some expensive proprietary application or another.
I thought that maybe there would be a more Debian way :). I have found
Clonezilla, a Norton Ghost alternative, so I will try it. Thanks!
gparted works fine for moving partitions, including windows partitions. If you move windows to a new drive, it won't boot until you have used the 'rescue mode' from the windows installer. This is because the drive id is hardcoded in the registry as a copy protection mechanism. The windows installer rescue fixes that registry item. There also seems to be some way of removing the drive-id registry thing: google for 'cloning windows partition into vmware' or something similar, and you might find some clues on how to do that.

Sjoerd