Re: About getting videos from youtube

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:43:21 -0200
Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Hi, Celejar.
>
> On Dec 08 2009, Celejar wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:08:33 -0200 Rogério Brito wrote:
> > > I am the maintainer of the youtube-dl package and, unfortunately,
> > > due to a decision of the release team, it won't migrate to the
> > > testing distribution (and, as a consequence, it will not be part of
> > > a stable release).
> >
> > Can you explain just *why* the release team won't allow its migration?
> > I took a quick look at the various dev and PTS pages associated with
> > the package, and I couldn't make out the reason.
>
> The release team won't allow youtube-dl to be part of a stable release
> for fear that the "interfaces" with youtube change during the life cycle
> of the stable release.
>
> Of course, similar statements could be made about many packages in the
> distribution that rely on services on the web that are beyond our
> control, but...

Yes, e.g. fetchyahoo.  I've filed this against it more than six months
ago:

and I've gotten no response ...

> Anyway, for reference, the thread here gives the justification.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2009/11/msg00033.html
>
> Also
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-volatile/2009/12/msg00008.html

Interesting, thanks.

> But, frankly, my forces for arguing are a bit drained and I don't want
> anything disruptive. I'm too old for that.
>
> I just maintain the package and I wanted to get some wider audience, as
> a lot of people may have extreme fear of the "unstable" label,
> preventing them of knowing about a given package that may be nice to
> have.

I run Sid, so it's not an issue for me, but I see your point.

> User feedback is warmly appreciated, BTW.

I happily used youtube-dl for a while, but at some point I switched to
cclive.  I'm not sure exactly why, but I think that I ran into some
trouble with youtube-dl.

I noticed in the email thread you cite that you mentiod that youtube-dl
has some features that the others don't.  I really only use them in the
simplest, default way, just copying and pasting links and running
'youtube-dl xxxx', but can you elaborate on that?

> Done, no problem. Please, do keep me in the CC'ies.

Thanks for your work on this package!

Celejar