Re: About getting videos from youtube

Hi, Celejar.

On Dec 08 2009, Celejar wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:08:33 -0200 Rogério Brito wrote:
> > I am the maintainer of the youtube-dl package and, unfortunately,
> > due to a decision of the release team, it won't migrate to the
> > testing distribution (and, as a consequence, it will not be part of
> > a stable release).
>
> Can you explain just *why* the release team won't allow its migration?
> I took a quick look at the various dev and PTS pages associated with
> the package, and I couldn't make out the reason.

The release team won't allow youtube-dl to be part of a stable release
for fear that the "interfaces" with youtube change during the life cycle
of the stable release.

Of course, similar statements could be made about many packages in the
distribution that rely on services on the web that are beyond our
control, but...

Anyway, for reference, the thread here gives the justification.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2009/11/msg00033.html

Also

http://lists.debian.org/debian-volatile/2009/12/msg00008.html

But, frankly, my forces for arguing are a bit drained and I don't want
anything disruptive. I'm too old for that.

I just maintain the package and I wanted to get some wider audience, as
a lot of people may have extreme fear of the "unstable" label,
preventing them of knowing about a given package that may be nice to
have.

User feedback is warmly appreciated, BTW.

> [Please reply to -user and not to me personally; I accidentally sent
> this first to -user, before noticing your request for cc., and I'm now
> sending the message to you.

Done, no problem. Please, do keep me in the CC'ies.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de