Re: dlink dwa-556

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:56:04 +0100
lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to connect to a wireless network with a Dlink DWA-556
> card. The card is using the ath9k driver and shows up as follows with lspci:
>

> 02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008
> Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: D-Link System Inc Device 3a70
>         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
>         Memory at f9df0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
>         Capabilities: <access denied>
>         Kernel driver in use: ath9k
>

> All I was able to do is assign an IP address with ifconfig and find
> the router when scanning for stations. So apparently, the hardware is
> working. But it doesn't seem to be possible to establish a connection.

Don't know if this is relevant here, but just to nitpick: it's ofter the case that a wireless card is receiving correctly but not transmitting.  Successful assignation of an IP address means nothing at all beyond that there's some driver present that thinks that it's found some hardware it supports, and finding the router means that it's receiving, but not necessarily transmitting.

> The router uses "WPA2 Personal" with a pre-shared key. I've tried the
> kde-network-manager (shows no signals), wicd (shows no wireless
> networks), wpa_supplicant (doesn't do anything) and entries in
> /etc/network/interfaces (doesn't do anything). I couldn't find any
> decent information about how to set up a wireless connection.

a) output of 'iwlist wlan0 [or whatever it's called] scan'
b) output of syslog when you try to connect
c) run wpa_supplicant in the foreground with debugging enabled
('wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -d') and report the
output and syslog, as well as your wpa_supplicant.conf (sanitized)

Celejar