Re: Will Debian accept a SATA to IDE hdd adapter?

Mark wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca <mailto:monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>> wrote:
 >Agreed, in case you have a choice, go for the SATA controller.
 >OTOH, I use one of those frankenstein adapters in a small box (wl700ge
 >home router) where the SATA controller is not an option, and it works
 >just great for that.

Well, the Frankenstein adapters don't work. hdd isn't recognized by BIOS no matter what configuration I use, even when it's the only hdd in the computer and I use Master or Cable Select. Sad I bought 2 of them and neither works with the circa year 2000 HP desktop. I can't use the PCI adapter unless it also has SATA power as my mobo doesn't have SATA power and my drives don't have the standard 4-prong power adapter.

Hmmm guess I'm stuck unless I'm missing something obvious.

Mark

Most drives accept a four-wire-to-SATA adapter. Last dozen Seagate drives I bought had adapters. The main difficulty is the SATA-to-PATA converter.

Mark Allums