Re: setting a preferred debian repository?

Hello

On 12/1/09, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> Yes, read (man 5 apt_preferences) and review the output of (apt-cache policy)
>  or (apt-cache policy $package).
>
>  For a full practical example, see <http://iguanasuicide.net/node/4>.

I looked at the pages and right now it *seems* to be doing what I
need. In my case, I set
liviu@debian-liv:~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release n=cran2deb
Pin-Priority: 1001

which gives
liviu@debian-liv:~$ apt-cache policy | grep cran
1001 http://debian.cran.r-project.org testing/ Packages
     release o=root,a=testing,n=cran2deb,l=root,c=
     origin debian.cran.r-project.org

and now aptitude proposes to upgrade, for example,
r-cran-urca 1.2-3-1cran1 -> 1.2-3-1cran2

instead of
r-cran-urca 1.2-3-1cran1 -> 1.2-3-2

, which is what I want. This doesn't seem to affect Synaptic, though.
It still proposes to upgrade
r-cran-urca 1.2-3-1cran1 -> 1.2-3-2

, something that I don't want. How can I instruct Synaptic to honour
the priorities defined in /etc/apt/preferences?

Thank you
Liviu