setting a preferred debian repository?

Dear all
Is it possible to configure the order of preference of Debian
repositories? I get a package with the same version, for the same
architecture, for the same target (testing), but from two different
repositories. And I always prefer the version packaged in the custom
repository over the one in the official Debian repository. Can I
somehow tell aptitude/synaptic to always install/upgrade from the
custom repository, even if it thinks that the official Debian
repository is more up-to-date?

Thank you
Liviu

--