Re: Help with ndiswrapper and Broadcom wireless

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:47:03 -0400, JoeHill wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Okay, I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.30 and rebuilt the driver with
> > module-assistant.
> >
> > tablet:/home/lajolla# lspci -knn | grep -iEA2 'broadcom|bcm|wireless|wifi'
> > tablet:/home/lajolla# modprobe -v wl
> > WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc, it
> > will be ignored in a future release.
> > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.30-1-686/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211.ko
> > install /sbin/modprobe -qr b43 ssb; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install wl
> > WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc, it
> > will be ignored in a future release.
> > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.30-1-686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko
> >
> > It's just not there anymore. I'm not sure how to proceed from here.
>
> Your problem might be due to broken hardware, see Rob Owens's message
> earlier in this thread:

> If you cannot get a warranty replacement then you should consider buying
> a cheap and well-supported USB or PCMCIA wireless device, as Rob also
> suggested; this approach is often preferable to endless fighting with
> flaky built-in hardware.

Good point. I'm certainly not in any hurry to continue this masochistic
exercise. I definitely appreciate your patience.

I found this:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/

and this:

http://www.pccanada.com/viewitem.asp?id=8942

and I've found a couple of people who can confirm that they are using the rt73
driver without hassle. If anyone else is looking for Linux compatible wireless
devices, this was a useful link for me:

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_hostif.php?hostif=USB

> (The possibility of hardware failure was the main reason why I kept
>  nagging about trying the device under Windows, to have an independent
>  test under an OS that is "officially supported" by the manufacturer.)

If only there were some sort of Windows 'live cd' for testing purposes.

Thanks very much for all your help :)