Re: resize2fs: Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> writes:
>>As a side note, it took quite a few steps to setup LVM + a larger /.
>>By default / is only ~6G, who in the world can live with that when my
>>/home is 650G ? Anyway system seems to be fine now.
>
> My desktop has a / that is 1GiB, but that's far too large, because /usr,
> /opt, /srv, /var, and /tmp (in addition to /home) are all separate
> filesystems.
>
> My VPSes don't use more than 5GiB in / and they don't even have /home as a
> separate file system.
>
> I do tend to agree that, for a desktop, the file system holding /usr should
> be closer to 10GB than 6GB.

Hmm, my / is 290MB, though /tmp, /var, /boot, and /usr are all separate
partitions.

290MB isn't that bad, but there's little room for errors like the recent
bloated kernel packages (now fixed), and the way Gnome used to put tons
of silly crap in /etc (now fixed as well).

Maybe 5-600MB on a separate-partition system would be a good size, not
insane, but some breathing room...

[My _previous_ box had only 150MB in /, and that was too little, I
couldn't even use pre-packaged debian kernels because they're too
bloated with lots of drivers.]

-Miles

--
Future, n. That period of time in which our affairs prosper, our friends
are true and our happiness is assured.