Re: resize2fs: Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith
Jr.<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> In <[🔎] bf0c3b3f0907070259u4ae4a1a4rf80e644dc55bf46e@mail.gmail.com>, Mathieu
> Malaterre wrote:
>># df -h
>>  According to df, /home is 670G and / is 5.6G, so I decide to remove
>>20G from one to move it to the other.
>>
>># resize2fs /dev/mapper/gotlib-home 650G
>>... do some e2fsck dance
>># lvreduce -L-20G /dev/mapper/gotlib-home
>>
>># e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/gotlib-home
>>e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
>>The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 178399232 blocks
>>The physical size of the device is 173156352 blocks
>>Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
>>Abort<y>? yes
>
> You must have gotten bitten by some GiB vs. GB issue or something like that.
>
> You've probably lost data at this point.
>
> I'm not sure what the best recovery plan is.  If you haven't resized the
> filesystem on /dev/mapper/gotlib-root, you may be able to use vgimport to
> restore your old LVM layout, check your filesystems, and retry with more
> conservative numbers.

I gave up quickly after sending my first email, simply because I could
mount /home (for some reason it worked out nicely). I backup
everything needed and simply reinstall everything from scratch using
my debian installer CD.

As a side note, it took quite a few steps to setup LVM + a larger /.
By default / is only ~6G, who in the world can live with that when my
/home is 650G ? Anyway system seems to be fine now.

Thanks anyway,
--
Mathieu