Re: Java lib packages

In <[🔎] 4fe4c4f50907021215o423b69cdyceea0dd78506d8a3@mail.gmail.com>, ChadDavis
wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith
>Jr.<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> In <[🔎] 4fe4c4f50907021030n40b776b8h9a09ce64ecec954f@mail.gmail.com>,
>> ChadDavis
>>
>> wrote:
>>>I would be interested in
>>>hearing how people doing Java development make use of the Debian
>>>shared Java libraries.
>>
>> I don't think it is much (if any) different from a C developer making
>> use of the Debian shared C libraries.
>
>It seems to me that one of the differences is that the C libraries are
>part of the linux platform, if you will, in a way that the Java
>libraries are not.  Does that make any sense?

Nope.

1) Many to most of the C libraries you run on Linux will work on other
platforms, particularly UNIX.  They aren't tied to Linux.

2) Some to many of the C libraries you run on Linux are not required as part
of the LSB -- the only standard for a Linux "system" as opposed to the Linux
kernel.  Linux isn't tied to them.

3) Virtually none of the C libraries are required for the Linux kernel to
run.  It will run basically any ELF program as /sbin/init.  Even if you want
a basic C library (required for running a C program), you have at least 3 to
choose from.  There's at least on way I can think of to compile a program
written in Java to ELF format and have *it* be /sbin/init.  Linux is written
in C, but it doesn't really favor one language over another at runtime.

In any case, the lib*-java packages are not specifically for developers.
They are shared dependencies of the Java applications that are part of
Debian or are using the Debian build and distribution network (contrib/non-
free).  Java applications in main with priority optional/extra are just as
much part of Debian as a C/C++ application in main with priority
optional/extra.

I don't know of any packages written in Java that have reached the
essential/required/standard priority, but there nothing fundamental keeping
any language out of those priorities... just the standard concerns of
keeping a minimal Debian system as small as practical.