Java lib packages

I have a "why" question.

I'm a Java developer, and I use 100% debian for all of my development
environments.  I'm somewhat familiar with the debian way . . .  but
I'm would like some insight into the concept of java "lib" packages.
Browsing through the lib stuff for my distribution I see that there
are java lib packages for a variety of Java API/Tools ( libraries if
you will ) that I am quite familiar with.  For instance, the
libcommons-collections-java  package is something that I work with all
the time.  In the normal course of Java development, I just need the
Jar file that contains this API in my Java classpath.  When I'm using
an advanced project tool, like Maven, all of these Java "libraries"
are managed for me -- they are all kept in a local repository to
eliminate all of the maintenance issues associated with managing
resources that a multitude of apps might depend upon.  This is my
perspective on these "libs".

I would, then, like to understand why Debian offers a Debian package
of something like the libcommons-collections-java Jar file.  Any Java
developers out there?