Re: Java lib packages

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith
Jr.<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> In <[🔎] 4fe4c4f50907020939v7039d33ej8056970848e03250@mail.gmail.com>, ChadDavis
> wrote:
>>When I'm using
>>an advanced project tool, like Maven, all of these Java "libraries"
>>are managed for me -- they are all kept in a local repository to
>>eliminate all of the maintenance issues associated with managing
>>resources that a multitude of apps might depend upon.  This is my
>>perspective on these "libs".
>
> This is akin to having a private version of every shared library you use in
> your source repository that your program specifically links against.  It
> defeats all the advantages of shared libraries, yet still has the same
> runtime overhead.

Maybe I said something that would suggest otherwise, but this is NOT
like having a private version.  One of the main functions of Maven is
that it keeps only a centralized copy of dependencies; truly shared
libraries in other words.  I understand that the Debian lib system is
probably trying to achieve the same thing.  What I'm not so clear on
is that this is useful to a Java developer.  I would be interested in
hearing how people doing Java development make use of the Debian
shared Java libraries.