Re: Java lib packages

In <[🔎] 4fe4c4f50907020939v7039d33ej8056970848e03250@mail.gmail.com>, ChadDavis
wrote:
>When I'm using
>an advanced project tool, like Maven, all of these Java "libraries"
>are managed for me -- they are all kept in a local repository to
>eliminate all of the maintenance issues associated with managing
>resources that a multitude of apps might depend upon.  This is my
>perspective on these "libs".

This is akin to having a private version of every shared library you use in
your source repository that your program specifically links against.  It
defeats all the advantages of shared libraries, yet still has the same
runtime overhead.

Such code duplication is frowned upon in Debian, no matter what language is
being used.  It makes security issues harder to track and fix in addition to
taking more space on the mirrors (and individual systems) and the excessive
RAM usage at runtime.

To this end, all applications that are packaged for Debian are supposed to
use the appropriate library packages instead of including a private version
of the library.  This is true if they are C, Ada, Java, Lisp, Prolog, or
Haskel.  These lib*-java packages install jar files and are Depended upon
just the Java applications packaged for Debian that need that library.

>I would, then, like to understand why Debian offers a Debian package
>of something like the libcommons-collections-java Jar file.  Any Java
>developers out there?

I haven't been a Java developer for quite a while.  I find I'm more
productive and just as cross-platform in C++/Qt.