Re: Compare default permissions?

On 2009-07-02 17:32 +0200, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

> Is there a way to compare a running Debian system against the default
> directory and file permissions created by the netinstaller or the
> Debian packages themselves?

Unfortunately, no.  This information is not kept anywhere currently.

> In other words, I'm not interested in file integrity or digital
> signatures for this particular purpose, just "has anyone accidentally
> changed the permissions from the installation defaults?"

Alas, dpkg does not track file permissions at all.  And the permission
of a directory contained in multiple packages is determined by
installation order: the first package that is unpacked wins, since dpkg
never changes permissions of directories.

Sven