Re: Getting connected to Verizon 3G network

Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
green wrote:
Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote at 2009-12-30 10:24 -0600:
Brief history. I am now using a D-Link DWA-556 PciE card. It has an Atheros AR5008 chip and I am using the mad-wifi ath5k driver code. I can connect to the Verizon MiFi , using wicd, get a ip address for the ath0 interface, and stay connected but, as mentioned above, I can't connect to the net.

Running route -n displays only the ath ip address. Without a route to the gateway I am stuck. Checking windows machines that 'can' connect
I see that they all get a different gateway addresses.  I can't add them
to the routing table because route won't allow any of them. Google has not found any posts/information about using the MiFi with Linux except
the ones I have posted here.

Try this:
1. Find out IP of ath0 connection using 'ifconfig ath0' (ex. 192.168.0.25)

 The MiFi is supposed to assign IP addresses in the range if 192.168.1.2
 to .10.  It does when I had the Netgear WG111v2 Connected ( the one time
 I got it working). Using the DWA-556 on testing it assigns an IP of
 169.254.213.81 every time I get it connected.  Verizon support says they
 don't understand why/how that is happening.  I spoke with a MiFi expert
 who then spent 10 minutes conferring with other (tier 2) experts.  It was
their opinion that the MiFi hub should work with linux but they have not had any reports that it, in fact, does

2. Try pinging the first IP on that network (ping 192.168.0.1)

I and only ping the above 169. addr.

3. If that works, set the default route to that IP
 route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Since the only route in the routing table is 169.254.0.0, I can't add the 192 addr. I have tried though.

4. Then try 'ping google.com'

Oh I so wish I could.

As I have never had a problem connecting to an open AP, I even tried opening up the MiFi. Windows connected and could go to the net but when I tried the same on linux, I again recieved the 169 IP address which resulted in no joy, again. A grep of my whole system could not find any 169 addresses. I am about out of Ideas except for the ndiswrapper option. I have just downloaded two 64 bit windows XP drivers and will
have to give them a try, if I can't find any other thing to try.

Maybe I should try getting on without any Network Managers(?). I never used them before but went that route because 'everyone else is using them'. :-(

Thanks for the reply. If you have any other suggestions, I am very open to try them.

TIA

Wayne