Re: how to put packages on hold -- permanently

Dear all

sorry for being off thread.

Thanks for your help.  The hint by Andrei solved my problem.

In /etc/apt/preferences, I marked the packages as Prio *-1*:

  Package: nano
  Pin: release testing
  Pin-Priority: -1

  Package: aptitude
  Pin: release testing
  Pin-Priority: -1

  Package: tasksel
  Pin: release testing
  Pin-Priority: -1

  Package: tasksel-data
  Pin: release testing
  Pin-Priority: -1

and all the annoyances are gone.

The problem with "hold" is that the front-ends overrule the
package state for important packages, obviously.  Using dselect's
"=" or aptitude <package> hold did not solve my problem.

Regarding your question, Robert, why so many people still
use dselect and apt-get: ... because they simply prefer to.
When I started using Debian back in 1999, I became acquainted
with dselect -- as I have been using vim in xterm, and fvwm
since 1993. For me, this is one of the great advantages of
Debian to give the user the freedom to use what they prefer.

All the best for 2010!

wbr,
Lukas
--