Re: Having Grub2 use UUID instead of (hd0,1)?

>> Do both the "set root" and "search" lines point to the partition where /boot is?
>> To check the UUID of /boot:
>> grub-probe -t fs_uuid /boot

> Yes.

>> [And (just in case), unlike grub1, for grub2 sda1<-->(hd0,1), sda2<-->(hd0,2).]

For the sake of thread-completeness, to check the grub device of /boot
grub-probe -t drive /boot

> Today I decided to remove the device.map file and then I could issue:
> `grub-install '(hd0)''
> and it installed to the MBR and a subsequent `update-grub' put the
> 'set root=(hd0,1)' line in grub.cfg correctly even though I was running
> the Sidux kernel and `df' shows my root partition to be /dev/sda1.  I
> did a system restart try a new Sidux kernel and the reboot went fine.
> 'grub.cfg' has all the UUIDs correct for each partition.
> The next test will be whenever the grub packages are updated which is
> usually where this all goes awry as somehow (/dev/sda,1) gets into
> grub.cfg instead of (hd0,1). This is where I think that if Grub would
> just use the UUID that kind of mixup would be much less likely.

Please back up your device.map and run "grub-mkdevicemap". If it
doesn't re-create a proper device.map, you should file a bug. A
"(/dev/sda,1)   /dev/sda1" line is definitely wrong. AFAIK,
"grub-mkdevicemap" should return (for example)
<start>
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb
<end>
No partitions and no system device within the parenthesis of the grub device.