Re: Fw: Re: flash video sound issue

--- On Mon, 12/21/09, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Fw: Re: flash video sound issue [resolved]
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Monday, December 21, 2009, 2:13 AM
> Anthony Baldwin wrote:
> > --- On Sun, 12/20/09, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com>
> >> Subject: Re: Fw: Re: flash video sound issue
> [resolved]
> >> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >> Date: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 8:02 PM
> restart does
> >> the
> >> I have had other, intermittent, flash video sound
> issues
> >> that, while not identical, are similar enough that
> the same
> >> fix might work.  Nothing else that has been
> suggested
> >> has solved the problem, so I am going to try this
> the next
> >> time my sound goes into an endless loop.
> >>
> >> -- Marc Shapiro
> >> mshapiro_42@yahoo.com
> >>

> > I wonder if other sound programs I'm using are somehow
> contributing
> > to this issue, since restarting the sound system seems
> to resolve it,
> > temporarily.
>
> I think it is strictly flash related.  I almost never
> use other multi-media type software and IIRC the only time
> that I have a problem is with flash.  In fact, it
> almost always occurs when my daughter is on a flash game, or
> other flash kid's site.

I thought this was resolved, but, honestly, it isn't.
I can restart alsa, and immediately have the same issue.
(At one point, restarting alsa seemed to, at the very least, temporarily
resolve this issue, but not anymore).
It's really starting to annoy me, in fact.  Can't watch any
videos on Youtube, and any other flash animation (all those nauseatingly
cute eCards your AOL using Grandma sends for the holidays) etc.
My Ubuntu laptop doesn't seem to be having any such issue,
but I didn't update the flash plugin on that one (think it
has flash plugin 9, while I updated on this Lenny box
to flash10...although, the problem was here before I updated
the flash plugin, so I don't think that has anything to do with it).
I still use firefox as my browser on the ubuntu (jaunty) laptop.
So:
Experiencing the delayed, then skipping sound on Debian Lenny,
regardless of browser (iceweasel, chrome, epiphany, etc.), with
both flash9 or (newly updated) flash10, using ion3 wm.
Not having any such problem in ubuntu jaunty with firefox with flash9, ion3 wm.
My daughter's machine, lenny, xfce with iceweasel and flash9 has the same issue as my lenny box.
My box is updated far more regularly.  Probably haven't updated my kid's
box in 3 to 6 months, in all truth, but ran aptitude safe-upgrade on my
lenny box about a week ago.
Doesn't seem related to browser or wm, or even specifically one flash plugin.  It just seems I have this problem on Debian Lenny.
So, is it, indeed, a flash bug?
or a Debian bug?
or, maybe just a Lenny bug (are squeeze and sarge users seeing this same issue)?

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
translations & interpreting