Re: Having Grub2 use UUID instead of (hd0,1)?

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 07:14:14AM EST, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> [2009 Dec 28 05:49 -0600]:

[..]

> > unclear as to how he could have a kernel that treats all drives as
> > sda..

> All Ubuntu kernels treat any drive as an sd? and since I'm
> experimenting with a Sidux kernel to get the PREEMPT capability to
> improve desktop performance, it does the same thing.  Actually, it
> seems as though by treating every drive as an sd? that a lot of these
> sorts of issues are solved.

> > Sounds pretty risky to me.

Oh, OK.. they still have distinct identifiers, sda, sdb.. etc. right?

> I don't know why.  The CD recording software has done that for years
> regardless of whether the writer is actually an IDE or SCSI device.

To the casual onlooker, what you initially wrote made it sound as if
your kernel referred to all drives as /dev/sda .. I was merely hinting
that you probably needed to give a bit more detail about this.

> > The good news is that I read somewhere that the grub folks now have
> > dedicated someone to documenting the program ;-)

> That would be most helpful.

I think I got this from the #grub irc channel, from s/o who appeared to
be a reliable source.

> I've yet to try your suggestion as this weekend was one full of
> shoveling snow and other winter time duties. I will play with it once
> Ma Nature leaves us alone for a while.

Not holding my breath.. doesn't look promising, does it..? :-)

As to my suggestion, that's something else I got from the irc channel
and it did the trick for my USB stick clone.

I'm quite sure that update-grub does not tamper with the stanzas that
you create manually in /etc/grub.d/40_custom, so if you don't specify a
"set root=" there, the gen'd /boot/grub/grub.cfg should only contain
references to the UUID.

CJ