Re: Having Grub2 use UUID instead of (hd0,1)?

* Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> [2009 Dec 28 05:49 -0600]:
> I am able to boot a clone of my "lenny" system that lives on a USB stick
> and I actually had to manually remove the "set root=" statement, because
> it was confusing grub2 - namely a "set root=(hd1,1) .. or hd2, or hd3..
> or sda, sdb, sdc.. always resulted in some message or other to the
> effect that there was no such partition.

That's what I'm running into.

> I'm not sure that's what the OP was asking for, though, because I'm
> unclear as to how he could have a kernel that treats all drives as sda..

All Ubuntu kernels treat any drive as an sd? and since I'm
experimenting with a Sidux kernel to get the PREEMPT capability to
improve desktop performance, it does the same thing.  Actually, it
seems as though by treating every drive as an sd? that a lot of these
sorts of issues are solved.

> Sounds pretty risky to me.

I don't know why.  The CD recording software has done that for years
regardless of whether the writer is actually an IDE or SCSI device.

> The good news is that I read somewhere that the grub folks now have
> dedicated someone to documenting the program ;-)

That would be most helpful.  I've yet to try your suggestion as this
weekend was one full of shoveling snow and other winter time duties.  I
will play with it once Ma Nature leaves us alone for a while.

- Nate >>