Re: de-stunnel possible?

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 12:45:28 +0800
Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:

> Hello. I have a case when the client software only speaks non-SSL
> protocol and wants to access a server that only offer SSL protocol.
> Image a case when a sensitive server admin only offer IMAPS access to
> the emails where the email software can only talk plain IMAP, a frequent
> case in mobile phone IMAP clients. That case is close to my current case.
>
> I imagine a daemon listening on imap port (e.g. of localhost) and upon
> hearing a connection, connects to specific IMAPS server, and forward
> traffic between both. That kind of daemon should solve my problem.
>
> However googling the Internet I only found stunnel, the software that
> does the opposite, listening on imaps port (e.g. of the server) and upon
> hearing a connection, connects to specific IMAP server (usually of
> localhost) and forward the traffic between.
>
> Is there a tool does de-stunnel thing? Thanks in advance.

IIUC, stunnel can indeed do what you want:

"Stunnel can work by either:

    * Receiving unencrypted data and sending it to an SSL server"

http://www.stunnel.org/about/

I haven't played much with stunnel, but it looks like you'll want to
follow this example:

http://www.stunnel.org/examples/generic_tunnel.html

but with only the stunnel instance on the local machine, not on the
remote machine.

Celejar