Re: building a custom kernel-WAS: Re: USB disk shows up late at boot

On 09-12-25 09:04:42, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 05:07:55 -0500
> > this is the "learning" part.. knowing what you need, what you MIGHT
> > need, and what you don't have to have to make it work..
>
> Absolutely.  I'm just warning you to be prepared for a lot of very
> frustrating "why can't the kernel find my root filesystem?" and "why
> has this piece of HW / SW suddenly stopped working".
>
> One thing I'd recommend, although I've never really done this myself,
> is keeping some sort of journal where you record changes you make and
> their results.

How about: build a kernel with everything as modules, boot it, look at
the output of lsmod, then build a kernel with (at least) those modules?

Certainly, keep a copy of the kernel config for each kernel you build
and use.  That can be diff'ed to find any changes.

TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>